Museum Renovation News
Exciting Changes are Coming for the Idaho Historical Museum!
Get ready to enjoy a whole new experience as the Idaho Historical Museum expands to provide more exhibits, more artifacts on display, and more activities for school groups and families.
- The Museum is now closed, and staff will temporarily relocate to 214 Broadway Avenue, the former Bureau of Reclamation Building.
- The Museum Store will be open at the new site and several exhibits will be open for visitors starting early 2015.
Why is the expansion and renovation needed?
- The Historical Museum building dates from the 1940s and many areas of the Museum are not up to modern museum standards.
- The entire infrastructure will be updated and exhibit space added so that more of our artifacts can be shown to the public. The expansion will also include an additional classroom.
How long will the Museum be closed?
- We anticipate the Museum will be closed from August 2014 through 2016 for construction and expansion.
- Following construction, new exhibits will be installed and the new facility will open to the public mid to late 2017.
What will happen to the exhibits and staff?
- The current exhibits will be meticulously de-constructed and artifacts stored off-site during construction.
- The Story of Idaho will be re‐imagined and updated with new elements to better connect visitors with Idaho’s comprehensive story.
- The staff will engage in statewide conversations to develop new exhibitions reflecting the needs and ideas of teachers, families, tourists, and the general public. New technologies will enhance the visitor experience.
Where will educational programming take place?
- The Museum staff will continue to provide education programs at schools.
- School groups are encouraged to visit the Abraham Lincoln: His Legacy in Idaho exhibition housed in the Idaho State Archives, attend programs at the Old Pen, and visit the Idaho State Capitol.
The Idaho State Historical Society, in partnership with the Friends of the Historical Museum and the Foundation for Idaho History, actively seeks your input and support as we move into this exciting transformation of the Museum. Our goal is that both old and new visitors will enjoy numerous and unforgettable experiences at the expanded facility. Please take a moment and complete a survey to gives us your thoughts on what should be in the new museum. For information on how to get involved contact Dax Chizum, firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-514-2310.